Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Fish & Mercury

 IMAGE BY IRVING PENN FOR VOGUE, 1993

For the longest time I have been actively trying to eat more fish. Fish is often touted as one of the most heart healthy things to eat.  We often hear about the benefits of the Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish and how beneficial this essential fatty acid is.  

I really enjoy eating sashimi and sushi and would always look forward to going for as a healthy treat.  So when my non- sushi eating friend told me she has very high mercury levels, I thought it may be a good idea to get my mercury level checked. As I do not eat fish everyday, and probably on average would have about 3 times a week, I didn't think my mercury level would be too high. Turns out it was. 

I am completely off eating fish and seafood for a month and will have my levels retested to see if I can decrease my mercury level without chelation

 The NY TIMES  did a story examining the levels of mercury found in tuna from some of my most favorite NY restaurants and stores. Data from this article shows that  tuna tested from  restaurants contain more mercury than tuna sold in stores as tuna used for sushi is often from bigger fish..  I will never look at sushi the same! 




UPDATE: After 40 days of being off fish my blood level of mercury  dropped significantly to within the normal range. I am now only eating low level mercury fish 1-2 a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment