Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Fresh from Art Basel Miami







This was my first time going to Art Basel Miami, and I was blown away.  I thought I would be completely overwhelmed by seeing so much art, but because the works were so incredible I just found the whole experience AWE INSPIRING.  Every art dealer brought the best of the best work by the best of the best artists from around the world.  To be so close to works by my all time favorite artists such as Mark Rothko, Francis Bacon, Jeff Koons and Gerhard Richter in such an approachable environment was really special.




We bought our first major art work by Anish Kapoor and am beyond excited about the piece. The photo above does not do it justice, the colors are so much more vivid. The work is titled HORIZON SHADOW and is a set of 9 prints with a limited edition of 35. 


One of the artists that was new to me was Roni Horn. I  thought this piece of hers was very cool:


              RONI HORN — Well..., 2009/2010 Solid cast, blue glass with as-cast surfaces on all sides  with a fire-polished top.


I am a big fan of Japanese Art and Takashi Murakami. So found the piece below fun. Definitely different from the Murakami images I am used to. 
           
 TAKASHI MURAKAMI Playful and Carefree/A Leisurely Meander/On Puppy Island/My Response to Leonardo da Vinci, 2010




 JEFF KOONS Yorkshire Terriers, 1991


The Francis Bacon painting above was breathtaking, it gave me chills. His work always has an intense visceral effect on me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment